Can your child tell you the sounds for these letters?
j v w
* Ideas of how to further support your child with learning the letter of the day:
- Find things around the house or in pictures that start with the given sound. Have a go at labelling on post-it notes or scraps of paper the sound. For example - find a sock and practise labelling it with ‘s’.
- Rainbow writing – Adult to write the letter on a piece of paper. Using a coloured pencil child to trace over the top of the letter saying the sound it makes as they do. Child to then choose another colour and repeat.
- Looking for the letters in books, leaflets, signs, around the house. Can the child spot the letter of the day? What sound does it make?
- Matching objects to the initial sound. Write the letter or a few letters the child has learned and find objects or pictures starting with that sound. Can the child match the objects correctly to the letter they start with.